Power Electronics converters : circuit topology, control, and applications
Power electronics converters are vital for many applications such as interfacing systems of renewable resources, electrical drives, electric vehicles, and others. The research on ciruit topologies and control of power electronics converters are motivated by improving the performance and functionality of the existing converters. New topologies of power electronics converters are investigated and analyzed. My research work focus on the operation and control of proposed converters which are verified using computer simulation and experimental setups. Applications includes integration of Photovoltaic systems and wind turbines with the electrical grids or microgrids, current flow controllers used for the multi-terimal DC grids, uninterruptible power supplies, dynamic voltage restorers, and energy storage systems.
Related Journal Publication List
- B. Alajmi, M. I. Marei, and I. Abdelsalam, “A Multi-Port DC/DC Converter based on Two- Quadrant Inverter Topology for PV Systems,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 36, No. 1., Jan. 2021, pp. 522-532. DOI: 10.1109/TPEL.2020.3002504.
- B. Alajmi, M. I. Marei, I. Abdelsalam, and and M.F. Alhajri, “Analysis and design of a Multi-port DC-DC converter for Interfacing PV Systems,” Energies (MDPI), Vol. 14., April 2021, 1943. DOI: 10.3390/en14071943.
- M. M. El-sotouhy, A. A. Mansour, M. I. Marei, A. M. Zaki, and A. A. El-Sattar, “Four-Leg Active Power Filter Control with SUI-PI Controller,” International Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering (IJECE), Vol. 11, No. 4, Aug. 2021, pp. 2768-2778.
- Fathy H. Awad, Ahmed A. Mansour, M. I. Marei, and A. A. El-Sattar, “Simplified Methods of the 3D-SVPWM for Four-Wire Three-Leg Inverter,” Journal of Power Electronics (Springer), Vol. 20, No. 6, Nov. 2020, pp. 1405-1416. DOI: 10.1007/s43236-020-00133-4.
- I. Abdelsalam, B. Alajmi, M. Alhajri, and M. I. Marei, “Wind energy conversion system based on open-end winding three-phase PMSG coupled with AC-DC buck-boost converter,” IET Journal of Engineering. Vol. 2019, No. 17, 2019, pp. 4336-4340. DOI: 10.1049/joe.2018.8168.
- M. Abdelsalam, M.I. Marei, S.A. Tennakoon, H. Y. Diab, “A Fault Tolerant Control Technique for Hybrid Modular Multi-Level Converters with Fault Detection Capability,” Journal of Power Electronics (JPE), Vol. 18, No. 2, March 2018, pp. 558-572. DOI: 10.6113/JPE.2018.18.2.558.
- P. Magdy, M. I. Marei, and A. A. El-Sattar, “A Fault-Tolerant Strategy Based on Sliding Mode Control For Current Controlled AC-DC Converters,” International journal of electronics (Taylor & Francis), Vol. 105, No. 5, May 2018, pp. 817-835. DOI: 10.1080/00207217.2017.1409808.
- M. Abdelsalam, M. I. Marei, and S. Tennakoon, “An Integrated Control Strategy with Fault Detection and Tolerant Control Capability Based on Capacitor Voltage Estimation for Modular Multilevel Converters,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 53, No. 3, May/June 2017, pp. 2840-2851. DOI: 10.1109/TIA.2016.2608940.
- H. Y. Diab, M. I. Marei, and S. Tennakoon, “A Reduced Switch Count Topology of Current Flow Control Apparatus for MTDC Grids,” Journal of Power Electronics (JPE), Vol. 16, No. 5, September 2016, pp. 1743-1751. DOI: 10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1743.
- M. Abdelsalam, M. I. Marei, S. Tennakoon, Alison Griffiths, “Capacitor Voltage Balancing Strategy Based on Sub-module Capacitor Voltage Estimation for Modular Multilevel Converters,” IEEE-CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 2, No.1, March 2016, pp. 65-73.
- H. Y. Diab, M. I. Marei, and S. Tennakoon, “Operation and control of an insulated gate bipolar transistor-based current controlling device for power flow applications in multi-terminal high-voltage direct current grids,” IET Power Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, February 2016, pp. 305 –315. DOI: 10.1049/iet-pel.2015.0525.
- M. I. Marei, M. A. Allam, and A. A. El-Sattar “A Simple Control Scheme for the High Performance Z-Source Inverter,” Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 42, Issue 14, Oct. 2014, pp. 1623-1631. DOI: 10.1080/15325008.2014.943440.
- M. I. Marei, “A unified control strategy based on phase angle estimation for matrix converter interface system,” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, June 2012, pp. 278-286. DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2011.2163010.
- M. I. Marei, Ayman B. Eltantawy, and A. A. El-Sattar, “An energy optimized control scheme for a transformerless DVR,” Electric Power Systems Research (Elsevier). Vol. 83, No. 1, Feb. 2012, pp. 110 – 118. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsr.2011.09.015.
- M. I. Marei, E. F. El-Saadany, and M. M. A. Salama, “A flexible DG interface based on a new RLS algorithm for power quality improvement,” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 6, Issue 1, Mar. 2012, pp. 68-75. DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2011.2162930.
- A. M. Ibrahim, M. I. Marei, M.M. Mansour, and S. F. Mekhamer, “An artificial neural network based protection approach using total least square estimation of signal parameters via the rotational invariance technique for flexible AC transmission system compensated transmission lines,” Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 39, Issue 1, 2011, pp. 64-79. DOI: 10.1080/15325008.2010.513363.
- M. I. Marei, I. Abdallah, and H. Ashour, “Transformerless uninterruptible power supply with reduced power device count,” Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 39, Issue 11, Jan. 2011, pp. 1097-1116. DOI: 10.1080/15325008.2011.559187.
- M. I. Marei, E. F. El-Saadany, and M. M. A. Salama, “A New Approach to Control DVR based on Symmetrical Components Estimation,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 22, No. 4, Oct. 2007, pp. 2017-2024. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRD.2007.905537.