مروة أبو الفتوح السيد خليفة
أستاذ في التخطيط العمرانى
Prof. Khalifa has obtained her B.Sc. (1995) & M.Sc. (2000), "Urban Planning" specialization from Ain Shams University (ASU), Egypt while her PhD (2007) was a joint supervision between ASU and the University of Sheffield, UK. She has been affiliated to the Department of Urban Design & Planning since 1996, and promoted to a full Professor in 2017. Currently, Prof. Khalifa acts as a Director of the Graduate Engineering School for Research (GESR) and a coordinator for 2 programs: B.Sc “Environmental Architecture & Urbanism” (ENVR) and the Interdisciplinary Master on “Resource Efficient Cities” (IMaREC). Prof. Khalifa has major interest in informal settlements upgrading, participatory planning approaches, environmental assessment & risk reduction, climate change adaptation, and resource efficient cities. She combines the advantages of having both the theoretical grounds and practical application experience. She has been teaching and supervising multidisciplinary topics, both undergraduate and postgraduate since 1996 to date. Simultaneously, she had provided consultancy services to national and international organizations in Egypt related to her area of expertise. Additionally, since 2007 she has participated in and coordinated 3 international cooperation projects with partner universities in EU, Latin America, South Asia, Africa and the MENA Region related to higher education reform in the fields of participatory planning and natural resources management.
Best Researcher representing the Department of Urban Planning (2013)
• Hendawy, M., Eid, Y., Khalifa, M., (2019). Connecting Urban Policy Making and Implementation; Case of Maspero, Cairo, Egypt. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. ISBN-13:978-3-659-80217-1, ISBN-10:3659802174
• Abou-Ziyan, E., Khalifa, M. & Hassan, G. (2018). Metabolism of Urban Food Systems. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. ISBN-10: 3659706728; ISBN-13: 978-3659706721
• Elmarakby, E., Khalifa, M., Elshater A., et al., (2021). Tailored methods for mapping urban heat islands in Greater Cairo Region, Ain Shams Engineering Journal, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2021.06.030
• El-Metwally, Y., Khalifa, M., Elshater A. (2021). Quantitative study for applying prospect-refuge theory on perceived safety in Al-Azhar Park, Egypt. Ain Shams Engineering Journal, ISSN 2090-4479, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2021.04.016. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090447921001982)
• Sultan, M. A., Kamel, S. M., Hassan, G. F., Khalifa, M. A. (2021), “Towards a Comprehensive Model for Branding New Cities”, Design Engineering, p. 1061- 1079, 2021. https://doi.org/10.17762/de.vi.2358
• Sultan, M. A., Kamel, S. M., Hassan, G. F., Khalifa, M. A. (2021),., "A Decades-Old Dream: Towards Branding The Un-Named City of The New Administrative Capital in Egypt. Design Engineering, p.1090- 1104, 2021. https://doi.org/10.17762/de.vi.2360
• Eid, S., Khalifa, M., & Abd Elrahman, A. S., (2021). Biophilic perceptions in the urban waterfront: analytical study of the Nile waterfront in Central Cairo, HBRC Journal, 17:1, 19-39, DOI: 10.1080/16874048.2021.1872052
• Kotby, M. M., Khalifa, M., Elshater A., (2021). Lightening Other Faces of the Livability Parameters in the Egyptian Urban Communities. Contemporary Approaches in Urbanism and Heritage Studies, Cinius Yayınları Publication. DOI: 10.38027/N4ICCAUA2021174
• Adam, S., Khalifa, M., & Attia, A. (2020). Climate Change adaptation; Vulnerability Assessment of the Historic City of Rosetta, Egypt. International Conference “The Path to City Resilience” March 2020.
• El-Khadrawy, R., Attia, A., Khalifa, M., Rashed, R., (2020). Sustainable Tourism and Culture: A Symbiotic Relationship. International Journal on: Environmental Science and Sustainable Development pg. 54 DOI: 10.21625/essd.v5i1.717.
• Asaad, M., Khalifa, M., & Abd Elrahman, A. S., (2019), “Bridging the Gap between theory and practice in the Urban Design Process: Towards a Multi-Disciplinary Approach”. The Academic Research Community Publication 3(1):115 DOI: 10.21625/archive.v3i1.435
• Hassan, N., Khalifa, M., Hamhaber, J., (2019). Adaptive Reuse as a Revitalization Tool: The Case of Downtown Cairo Post Relocation of Governmental Buildings to the New Administrative Capital Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer.
• Raslan, E., Khalifa, M., Elshater, A., (2019). Mapping Arts and Urban Development in Cairo’s Downtown. Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer.
• Elmarakby, E., Khalifa, M., Elshater, A., & Afifi, S. (2019). Spatial Morphology and Urban Heat Island: Comparative Case Studies. Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer.
• Adam, S., Khalifa, M., & Attia, A. (2019). Historic Urban Landscape Approach for Historic Coastal Cities Regeneration: The case of Rosetta, Egypt. Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer.
• Khalil, L., Kamel, S., Khalifa, M., Hamhaber, J., (2019). Exploring Water Sensitive Urban Landscape Design Practices: The Case of Rehab City, New Cairo. Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer
• El-Atal, M., Eid, Y., Khalifa, M., Abdel Latif, M. (2018). “Insights on Current Pressures and Future Challenges Facing Cities: Cairo’s ranking in Worldwide Indexes”, International Journal of Innovative Research & Development, Vol. 7, Issue 2, February 2018. DOI No.: 10.24940/ijird/2018/v7/i2/FEB18047
• El-Atal, M., Eid, Y., Khalifa, M., Abdel Latif, M. (2017). “Bridging the Gap of Uncertainty: Can a Mobile Application Address Resource Efficiency for a Better City Understanding?”, International Journal of Innovative Research & Development, Vol. 6, Issue 12, December 2017. DOI No.: 10.24940/ijird/2017/v6/i12/DEC17041
• Abou-Ziyan, E., Hassan, G., & Khalifa, M. (2017). “Collective analysis for Cairo’s food system flows towards deriving physical planning and policy guidance”. Proceeding of the International Conference for “Sustainable Design of the built environment (SDBE 2017)”, 20th – 21st December 2017, London, United Kingdom - pp. 738-750.
• Asaad, M., Khalifa, M., & Abd Elrahman, A. S., (2017), “Bridging the Gap between theory and practice in the Urban Design Process: Towards a Multi-Disciplinary Approach”. International Journal on: The Academic Research Community Publication, IEREK
• Mustafa, N. and Khalifa, M. and Abd Elrahman, Ahmed, Safety and Security of Cities and Their Impact on the City Life (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3164155 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3164155
• Hemida, A. and Khalifa, M. and Fayoumi, M., Proactive Coastal Resilience: Vulnerability of the Northern Nile Delta Built Environment (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3162346 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3162346)
• Habib, A., Eid, Y, Khalifa, M. , Fayoumi, M., The Impact of Congested Mobility on the Functions of Public Spaces in Cities, Ramses Square Case Study (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3164279 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3164279
• Omnia A. and Khalifa, M. and Abdel Rahman, A. S., The Affordability of the Provided Housing Units in Egypt; Case Study of the National Housing Program (NHP). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3163562 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3163562
• Abou El Ezz, N and Eid, Y and Khalifa, M. and Hamhaber, J, Governance Models of Successful Urban Public Spaces: Reflections on the Case of Cairo, Egypt (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3163031 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3163031
• AbouZiyan, E and Hassan, G and Khalifa, M., Insight into the Metabolism of Urban Food System Flows for Sustainable Development: The Case of Cairo, Egypt (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3162962 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3162962
• Johannes Hamhaber and Marwa A. Khalifa (forthcoming), “Educating for Efficient Participation towards Urban Resilience in Societies in Transition: The Case of Egypt”. Springer Book Series - RESILIENT CITIES: Re-thinking Urban Transformation, Book 6: “Participation and governance for urban resilience: exploring co-evolution and co-design approaches.”
• Elsisy, A., Ashour, A., Khalifa, M., Khodeir, L,. (2017), “Decision Making Ideology: Correlation Analysis between Informal Settlements Growth and Upgrading Policies in Egypt”. The Proceeding of ArchCAIRO 7th International Conference: Building Innovatively Interactive Cities - Horizons and Prospects 27th-29th March, 2017.
• Yousry, S., Ashour, A., Eid, Y and Khalifa, M. (2016), “HOW CAN CITIES LEAD REAL CHANGE? Lessons learned from the Egyptian urban management system”. Journal of Urban Research. Article 8, Volume 22, Issue 1, Autumn 2016, Page 126-143.
• Yasmin Z. Kamha, Marwa A. Khalifa, Aly N. El-Bahrawy. (2016), “Comparative Study of Community Resilience in Mega Coastal Cities Threatened by Sea Level Rise: The Case of Alexandria and Jakarta”. Urban Planning and Architecture Design for Sustainable Development, UPADSD 14- 16 October 2015. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 216 (2016) 503 – 517.
• Chaarawi, Z., Khalifa, M., Maarouf, D, Abdelatif, M. (2016), “Evaluation of Stakeholders’ relationship in Housing Provision Process in Egypt: Case study of 6th of October City”. Improving Sustainability Concepts in Developing Countries. Procedia Environmental Sciences 34 (2016) 618 – 630.
• Johannes Hamhaber and Marwa A. Khalifa (forthcoming), “Educating for Efficient Participation towards Urban Resilience in Societies in Transition: The Case of Egypt”. RESURBE II: International Conference on Urban Resilience - New Stakeholders for Climate Change Action, 17 - 20 de September 2015, Bogota, Colombia.
• Ysmine Bayoumi, Sherief A. Sheta, Marwa Kalifa (2016), Emphasizing the role of craftsmanship in urban planning interventions to promote tourism - Case study: Zaanse Schans, the Netherlands”, Mansoura Engineering Journal Vol. 41, No. 2, June 2016.
• Yousry, S., Ashour, A., Eid, Y and Khalifa, M. (2015), “Urban Development Management Towards Improved City Prosperity (The Case study of Egypt)” ISERD - International Conference on Economics, Management and Social Study (ICEMSS) Cairo, Egypt - December 30th, 2015.
• Sabry, M., Khalifa, M. Salheen, M., (2015), “Assessment for Community Participation efficiency in Informal Settlements Upgrading”. CUI '15 / 3rd International Contemporary Urban Issues Conference organized by DAKAM, Eastern Mediterranean Academic Research Center, in Istanbul, Turkey 19/11/2015.
• Khalifa, M. A. (2015), " Evolution of Informal Settlements Upgrading Strategies in Egypt: From Negligence to Participatory Development". Ain Shams Engineering Journal (2015) 6, 1151-1159. doi:10.1016/j.asej.2015.04.008
• Mohamed, A., Van Nes, A., Salheen, M., Khalifa, M. A. and Hamhaber, J. (2014), “Understanding Urban Segregation in Cairo: The Social and Spatial Logic of a Fragmented City”. Paper published in the proceedings of the 1st International Conference on “Smart, Sustainable and Healthy Cities” the CIB-MENA - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 14-16 December 2014.
• Eid, Y. Y., Khalifa, M. A., Azouz, N. A. (2014), "Good Urban Governance of Informal Settlements in Metropolitan Areas: Case Study of the Informal Settlement of Ezzbet Al-Haggana, Cairo-Egypt". Paper published in the proceedings of WSB14 Barcelona – Sustainable Building Conferences, Are We Moving as Quickly as We should? It’s up to us! - Barcelona, Spain. 28-30 October 2014.
• Elrefaei, H. and Khalifa, M. A. (2014), "A Critical Review on the National Energy Efficiency Action Plan of Egypt". Journal of Natural Resources and Development 2014; 04: 18-24
• Khalifa, M. A. and El-fayoumi, M. A. (2012), “Role of Hubs in Resolving the Conflict between Transportation and Urban Dynamics in GCR: The Case of Ramses Square", AicE-Bs 2012 Cairo - ASIA Pacific International Conference on Environment-Behaviour Studies: Future Communities: Socio-Cultural & Environmental Challenges. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 68 (2012) 879-893.
• Khalifa, M. A. and Sandholz, S. (2012), “Breaking Barriers and Building Bridges through Networks: An Innovative Educational Approach for Sustainability”, International Journal of Environmental and Science Education, Volume 7, Issue 2 (April 2012).
• Khalifa, M. A., (2012), “A critical review on current practices of the monitoring and evaluation in the preparation of strategic urban plans within the Egyptian context”, Habitat International, 36 (2012), 57-67.
• Khalifa, M. A. and El Khateeb, S. M. (2011), "Fayoum Oasis between Problems and Potentials: Towards Enhancing Ecotourism in Egypt". URBENVIRON CAIRO 2011, 4th International Congress on Environmental Planning and Management. Green Cities: A Path to Sustainability. December 10 – 15, 2011 – Cairo and El-Gouna, Egypt.
• Khalifa, M. A., (2011), "Redefining slums in Egypt: Unplanned versus unsafe areas", Habitat International, 35 (2011), 40-49.
• Salheen, M., Khalifa, M. A., and El Khateeb, S. M. (2010), "Strategic Environmental Assessment in Land Use Planning - Towards Establishing SEA Framework in Egypt". Journal of Al-Azhar University Engineering Sector, Vol. 5, No.15 - April 2010, 564-576
• Khalifa, M. A. and Connelly, S. (2009), "Monitoring and guiding development in rural Egypt: local sustainable development indicators and local Human Development Indices", Environment, Development and Sustainability, Volume 11, Issue 6 (2009), 1175–1196.
• Khalifa, M. A. and El-Shafie, M. A. (2008), " Cairo in the context of global cities: from local into global". Paper published in ARUP 2008: The proceedings of the Second International Conference, Architecture..Urbanism & Time: A Vision for The Future, 25-27 October 2008, JW Marriot, Cairo, Egypt.
• El-Housseiny, O. and Khalifa, M. A., 2002, "A Comparative Study of Sustainable Urban Design Elements in Residential Commercial Areas, Case Study: Heliopolis and Nasr City" - The Journal of Egyptian Society of Engineers, Vol. 41 - No.1 & No.2 - 2002.
• Elsisy A., Ashour A.M., Khalifa M.A., Khodeir L.M. (2019) Decision Making Ideology: Correlation Analysis Between Informal Settlements Growth & Upgrading Policies in Egypt. Book chapter in: Attia S., Shafik Z., Ibrahim A. (eds) New Cities and Community Extensions in Egypt and the Middle East. pp 139-157 Springer, Cham. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77875-4_8
• 2019 - present: Co-PI of STDF project “Measuring the Impact of Urban Morphology on Urban Heat Islands in Cairo”, Project ID: BARG 37234, Grant type: Call 7 / STDF Basic & Applied Research
• 2019 - 2021: Project manager for “Competencies towards Entrepreneurship and Employability Opportunities (CEO)” project. Programme Line 1: German-Egyptian University Progress Partnership: university partnerships with partner universities in Egypt. TH Köln & Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University, funded by the DAAD.
• 2012 - 2015: Project manager for project "Participatory Planning and Natural Resources Management-Curricular Development (PartNaR)", within the German- Arab Transformation Partnership program, supported by the DAAD with funds from the Federal Foreign Office. Local partners include GOPP, UN-Habitat, ISDF and WFP.
• 2009 - present: Local coordinator for the Centre of Excellence: CNRD-Centre for Natural Resources and Development project, coordinated by Cologne University of Applied Sciences (CUAS - Germany) and includes 13 universities partners from (Indonesia, Chile, Mexico, Nepal, Egypt, Jordan, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Bangladesh, Vietnam, and Brazil). CNRD is supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Exceed and DAAD.