Waste Management and Valorization
Solid waste management is a global challenge, especially in developing countries where municipal waste generation rates are significantly being accelerated by the increasing population, rapid urbanization and booming economies. Waste uncontrolled disposal pollutes water, soils and plants with heavy metals, while open burning pollutes the atmosphere through generating CO, CO2, SOx, NOx and PM10, in addition to other pollutant emissions. Various waste management systems and scenarios are being investigated and optimized to ensure establishing environmentally sound, socially accepted and economically viable systems. This research area focusses on waste management in urban and rural areas to enhance the systems’ sustainability and investigates the possible waste valorization processes to support shifting into a green circular economy.
Related Journal Publication List
- A Glance at the world, 2012. Waste Management 32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2012.05.029.
- AboSiada, O., Negm, M., Basiouny, M., Fouad, M., Elagroudy, S., 2017. Nutrient Enrichment of Agro–Industrial Waste Using Solid State Fermentation. Microbiology Research Journal International 22. https://doi.org/10.9734/MRJI/2017/36125.
- Anwar, S., Elagroudy, S., Abdel Razik, M., Gaber, A., Bong, C.P.C., Ho, W.S., 2018. Optimization of solid waste management in rural villages of developing countries. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy 20. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10098-018-1485-7.
- Elagroudy, S., A. Warith, M., el Zayat, M., 2016. Municipal Solid Waste Management and Green Economy. Global Young Academy, Berlin.
- Elagroudy, S., Elkady, T., Ghobrial, F., 2011. Comparative Cost Benefit Analysis of Different Solid Waste Management Scenarios in Basrah, Iraq. Journal of Environmental Protection 02. https://doi.org/10.4236/jep.2011.25064.
- Janajreh, I., Hussain, M., Elagroudy, S., Moustakas, K., 2021. Recycled tire granular for playground in hot regions: technical assessment. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management 23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-020-01100-8.
- Siada, O., Negm, M., Basiouny, M., Fouad, M., Elagroudy, S., 2018. Protein Enrichment of Agro–Industrial Waste by Trichoderma harzianum EMCC 540 through Solid State Fermentation for Use as Animal Feed. Journal of Geography, Environment and Earth Science International 13. https://doi.org/10.9734/JGEESI/2017/39019.