Urban Policies and Informal Settlements Upgrading
This research area focuses on investigating urban policies worldwide and reflecting on the urban development management in Egypt, with particular focus on informal settlements upgrading. It explores different approaches for the identification of priorities for intervention in informal settlements and drawing up polices and strategies for improving slums’ conditions and the lives of their inhabitants. Furthremore, it assess the effectiveness of decision making ideology on informal settlements’ upgrading policies and the integration level of upgrading policies within Egypt’s agenda for sustainable development, and constructs a correlation analysis between growing informality and the upgrading policies implemented; tracking down deficiencies and poor practices.
Related Journal Publication List
- Elsisy A., Ashour A.M., Khalifa M.A., Khodeir L.M. (2019) Decision Making Ideology: Correlation Analysis Between Informal Settlements Growth & Upgrading Policies in Egypt. Book chapter in: Attia S., Shafik Z., Ibrahim A. (eds) New Cities and Community Extensions in Egypt and the Middle East. pp 139-157 Springer, Cham. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77875-4_8.
- Hendawy, M., Eid, Y., Khalifa, M. (2019). Connecting Urban Policy Making and Implementation; Case of Maspero, Cairo, Egypt. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing. ISBN-13:978-3-659-80217-1, ISBN-10:3659802174.
- El-Atal, M., Eid, Y., Khalifa, M., Abdel Latif, M. (2018). “Insights on Current Pressures and Future Challenges Facing Cities: Cairo’s ranking in Worldwide Indexes”, International Journal of Innovative Research & Development, Vol. 7, Issue 2, February 2018. DOI No.: 10.24940/ijird/2018/v7/i2/FEB18047.
- Asaad, M., Khalifa, M., & Abd Elrahman, A. S., (2017), “Bridging the Gap between theory and practice in the Urban Design Process: Towards a Multi-Disciplinary Approach”. International Journal on: The Academic Research Community Publication, IEREK.
- Yousry, S., Ashour, A., Eid, Y and Khalifa, M. (2016), “HOW CAN CITIES LEAD REAL CHANGE? Lessons learned from the Egyptian urban management system”. Journal of Urban Research. Article 8, Volume 22, Issue 1, Autumn 2016, Page 126-143.
- Sabry, M., Khalifa, M. Salheen, M., (2015), “Assessment for Community Participation efficiency in Informal Settlements Upgrading”. CUI '15 / 3rd International Contemporary Urban Issues Conference organized by DAKAM, Eastern Mediterranean Academic Research Center, in Istanbul, Turkey 19/11/2015.
- Khalifa, M. A. (2015), " Evolution of Informal Settlements Upgrading Strategies in Egypt: From Negligence to Participatory Development". Ain Shams Engineering Journal (2015) 6, 1151-1159. doi:10.1016/j.asej.2015.04.008.
- Yousry, S., Ashour, A., Eid, Y and Khalifa, M. (2015), “Urban Development Management Towards Improved City Prosperity (The Case study of Egypt)” ISERD - International Conference on Economics, Management and Social Study (ICEMSS) Cairo, Egypt - December 30th, 2015.
- Eid, Y. Y., Khalifa, M. A., Azouz, N. A. (2014), "Good Urban Governance of Informal Settlements in Metropolitan Areas: Case Study of the Informal Settlement of Ezzbet Al-Haggana, Cairo-Egypt". Paper published in the proceedings of WSB14 Barcelona – Sustainable Building Conferences, Are We Moving as Quickly as We should? It’s up to us! - Barcelona, Spain. 28-30 October 2014.
- Khalifa, M. A., (2012), “A critical review on current practices of the monitoring and evaluation in the preparation of strategic urban plans within the Egyptian context”, Habitat International, 36 (2012), 57-67.
- Khalifa, M. A., (2011), "Redefining slums in Egypt: Unplanned versus unsafe areas", Habitat International, 35 (2011), 40-49.
- Khalifa, M. A. and Connelly, S. (2009), "Monitoring and guiding development in rural Egypt: local sustainable development indicators and local Human Development Indices", Environment, Development and Sustainability, Volume 11, Issue 6 (2009), 1175–1196.