Urban Public Spaces and Housing Studies
Urban Public Spaces UPSs have vital roles in shaping our cities; they affect our quality of life, and introduce direct and indirect benefits, when being successfully provided. This research area explores the different approaches on the way they are designed, constructed, managed, and funded to promote its significant role as well as identifying the drawbacks of the current management system, which diminish the functions the UPSs can provide within cities. Furthermore, this research track investigates the state of the housing market in Egypt and analyzes the previous/current housing programs to assess to what extent they fulfill the demand of the different tiers of society, particularly and the lower income residents. It explores the different housing schemes offered by both the public and private sectors and evaluate their suitability to the targeted groups of each scheme.
Related Journal Publication List
- El-Metwally, Y., Khalifa, M., Elshater A. (2021). Quantitative study for applying prospect-refuge theory on perceived safety in Al-Azhar Park, Egypt. Ain Shams Engineering Journal, ISSN 2090-4479, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asej.2021.04.016. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090447921001982).
- Asaad, M., Khalifa, M., & Abd Elrahman, A. S., (2019), “Bridging the Gap between theory and practice in the Urban Design Process: Towards a Multi-Disciplinary Approach”. The Academic Research Community Publication 3(1):115 DOI: 10.21625/archive.v3i1.435.
- Hassan, N., Khalifa, M., Hamhaber, J., (2019). Adaptive Reuse as a Revitalization Tool: The Case of Downtown Cairo Post Relocation of Governmental Buildings to the New Administrative Capital Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer.
- Raslan, E., Khalifa, M., Elshater, A., (2019). Mapping Arts and Urban Development in Cairo’s Downtown. Architecture and Urbanism: A Smart Outlook. Cairo: Springer.
- Mustafa, N. and Khalifa, M. and Abd Elrahman, Ahmed, Safety and Security of Cities and Their Impact on the City Life (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3164155 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3164155.
- Habib, A. and Eid, Y and Khalifa, M. and Fayoumi, M., The Impact of Congested Mobility on the Functions of Public Spaces in Cities, Ramses Square Case Study (November 24, 2017). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3164279 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3164279.
- Omnia A. and Khalifa, M. and Abdel Rahman, A. S., The Affordability of the Provided Housing Units in Egypt; Case Study of the National Housing Program (NHP). 1st International Conference on Towards a Better Quality of Life, 2017. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3163562 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3163562.
- Chaarawi, Z., Khalifa, M., Maarouf, D, Abdelatif, M. (2016), “Evaluation of Stakeholders’ relationship in Housing Provision Process in Egypt: Case study of 6th of October City”. Improving Sustainability Concepts in Developing Countries. Procedia Environmental Sciences 34 (2016) 618 – 630.
- Johannes Hamhaber and Marwa A. Khalifa (forthcoming), “Educating for Efficient Participation towards Urban Resilience in Societies in Transition: The Case of Egypt”. RESURBE II: International Conference on Urban Resilience - New Stakeholders for Climate Change Action, 17 - 20 de September 2015, Bogota, Colombia.
- Mohamed, A., Van Nes, A., Salheen, M., Khalifa, M. A. and Hamhaber, J. (2014), “Understanding Urban Segregation in Cairo: The Social and Spatial Logic of a Fragmented City”. Paper published in the proceedings of the 1st International Conference on “Smart, Sustainable and Healthy Cities” the CIB-MENA - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, 14-16 December 2014.
- Khalifa, M. A. and El-fayoumi, M. A. (2012), “Role of Hubs in Resolving the Conflict between Transportation and Urban Dynamics in GCR: The Case of Ramses Square", AicE-Bs 2012 Cairo - ASIA Pacific International Conference on Environment-Behaviour Studies: Future Communities: Socio-Cultural & Environmental Challenges. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 68 (2012) 879-893.